Another upcoming Premium Tank has been credited as a rental into my account so I could test it, but this time I believe is something a lot of you have been waiting for: Lorraine 40t. The old Tier IX French Medium Tank that got replaced by the Bat.-Châtillon 25t AP is now making a return as a Premium Tier VIII Medium tank and it will be the first ever Tier VIII autoloader premium added to the game and will cost approximately 40€, should be in the store in the next few days.
This experimental French tank was developed during the 1940s. Two prototypes were manufactured in 1952. In addition to the oscillating turret, the vehicle featured suspension with air-core tires and pike nose armour. The design passed trials, but never entered mass production.
- Tier VIII Medium Tank
- Cost: 10,700 Gold
- Hit Points: 1,300
- Gun 100 mm SA47 A – Tier VIII (Auto Loader)
- Shell Type: AP / APCR / HE
- Shell Avg. Penetration: 232 / 263 / 50 mm
- Shell Avg. Damage: 300 / 300 / 400
- Shell Speed: 1,000 / 1,250 / 1000 m/s
- Clip Reload Time: 33.03s
- Shell Reload Time: 2.5s
- Clip Size: 4 shells
- Rate of Fire: 5.92 rounds/min
- Aiming Time: 2.23s
- Average Damage per Minute: 1776 HP/min
- Accuracy: 0.35
- Gun Depression/Elevation Angles: -8 / +15 deg
- Hull Traverse Speed: 37.06 deg/s
- Turret Traverse Speed: 39.24 deg/s
- Terrain Resistance
- Hard: 0.83
- Medium: 0.92
- Soft: 1.65
- Hull Armour: 40 / 30 / 25 mm
- Turret Armour: 45 / 30 / 20 mm
- Weigh/Load Limit: 40.35 / 43t
- Engine Power: 850 hp
- Specific Power: 21.07 hp/t
- Top Speed / Reverse Speed: 60 / 23 km/h
- Concealment of Stationary Vehicle: 27.76
- Concealment of Moving Vehicle: 21.57
- View Range: 418 m
- Signal Range: 782 m
- Crew: 3 (Commander/Loader/Radio Operator, Driver, Gunner/Loader)
Note: Values for 100% Crew with Brothers in Arms, Recon, Situational Awareness, Concealment, Snap Shoot, Smooth Ride and equipped with Vertical Stabilizer Mk I, Improved Ventilation and Enhanced Gun Laying Drive.
- Improved Ventilation
- Vertical Stabilizer Mk I
- Enhanced Gun Laying Drive
- Coated Opitcs
Analysis and Opinion
First let’s just say this tank fits so much better the French Medium branch as a crew trainer and enables players to learn how to play Top Tier French auto loaders, with only three crew members you can now finally train that Bat.Chat. crew without the need of getting an extra crew member just to be able to use a Premium tank.
The Lorraine 40t used to be a tank where players either loved it or hated it, being moved to Tier VIII hasn’t change this. If you did like the tank when he was a Tier IX, you will like it now, but if you never liked the tank so much… You might find it hard to like it now that it’s a Tier VIII.
It’s mobility is excellent, with a 850 hp engine it can deliver an amazing 21.07 hp/t specific power, meaning it doesn’t struggle to move anywhere even up a hill. With great terrain resistances and traverse speed, maneuvering and re-positioning won’t be a problem and these actually two of the tank strengths. But don’t forget, your armour is non existent, if you choose to go face to face with your enemies you will quickly regret that decision. Having such weak armour means you will have to play second line on a support role, helping your team to drain the enemies health points. You should never try to play on the front line has a damage dealer, not just the armour wouldn’t be able to stand any fight, but together with the fact the tank is an auto loader with only four shells you would get out of action very quickly.
The tank is more of a flanker, or support like I said before, but can also be a good finisher. If you find yourself in a position where your teammates are dealing some damage, wait for the right moment and poke out on that enemy that just fired and has low health points to finish him, then just retreat back to reload and repeat the process. Or if you prefer a lone wolf role, try to outflank your enemies using your mobility, while your team engages on a front line, try to find your way around so you can pick your enemies from their side and cripple them from their health points. With the decent aiming time value and gun accuracy, it won’t be hard to engage your enemies from 200 to 300 meters.
With eight degrees of gun depression, you can easily use the terrain to give you some cover, but don’t forget you are not an American tank that can play hull down and any tank from Tier VI upwards can easily penetrate your turret.
And what about credit making ability, you might ask. Well, I can say it’s a very decent tank when it comes to make credits, and as per usual, I do share my non Ace Tanker battle where you can see an average decent battle and how much profit the tank is able to do.
Overall it’s a decent Premium tank and something I might add to my collection. I’ve felt very comfortable playing with it and I haven’t felt this way with any Premium tank released recently. Maybe because I do enjoy playing with medium tanks and auto loaders, if this is your cause, then it’s a tank you can’t miss out.
The Good & Bad
- Amazing standard ammo penetration for a Medium;
- Good damage per minute for an auto loader;
- Good specific power and acceleration;
- Good mobility and terrain resistances;
- Amazing top speed of 60km/h.
- Auto Loader
- Paper armour;
- High silhouette;
- Only four shells on its clip;
Should you buy it?
Reasons to Buy
- You are looking for a French Premium to train your crew;
- You’re a Tank Collector;
- You like French Tanks;
- Better alternative to CDC or M4A1 Revalorisé;
- Better to train French Medium Crews.
Reasons to NOT Buy
- You’re a scrub lord and don’t want to support WG in anyway;
- You already have several good Premium money makers;
- You’re not comfortable playing French tanks with auto loader;
- You don’t like paper armour tanks;