I’ve been given a test account to try out the upcoming American Premium Medium Tank: T25 Pilot Number 1. Players will be able to get it for free if they complete 13 of the 15 Daily Missions, or if they buy tokens from the Gift Shop from $2,69/£1.89/€2.15.
I will be giving you an honest opinion about the tank and share with you my experience with it over the 40 battles I’ve played with it.
Developed by the United States Army Ordnance Corps on the basis of the mass-produced T23 tank with a 90-mm gun and reinforced armor. After the creation of two prototypes, 40 other vehicles were manufactured.
T25 Pilot Number 1
- Tier VIII Medium Tank
- Cost: 7,450 Gold
- Hit Points: 1,450
- Gun 90 mm Gun T7 – Tier VII
- Shell Type: AP / APCR / HE
- Shell Avg. Penetration: 192 / 243 / 45 mm
- Shell Avg. Damage: 240 / 240 / 320
- Reload Time: 6.44s
- Rate of Fire: 9.32 rounds/min
- Aiming Time: 1.83s
- Average Damage per Minute: 2,237 HP/min
- Accuracy: 0.33
- Gun Depression/Elevation Angles: -10 / +20 deg
- Turret Traverse Speed: 49.06 deg/s
- Traverse Speed: 46.88 deg/s
- Terrain Resistance
- Hard: 0.46
- Medium: 0.64
- Soft: 1.38
- Hull Armour: 76 / 50 / 38 mm
- Turret Armour: 76 / 63 / 63 mm
- Weigh/Load Limit: 39.69 / 40t
- Engine Power: 530 hp
- Specific Power: 14.06 hp/t
- Top Speed / Reverse Speed: 55 / 20 km/h
- Concealment of Stationary Vehicle: 16.51 (%)
- Concealment of Moving Vehicle: 13.09 (%)
- View Range: 474 m
- Signal Range: 812 m
- Crew: 5 (Commander, Driver, Gunner, Loader, Radio Operator)
Note: Values for 100% Crew with Brothers in Arms, Recon, Situational Awareness, Snap Shot and Smooth Ride. Tank equipped with Ventilation, Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer and Coated Optics.
- Improved Ventilation
- Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer
- Coated Optics
Analysis and Opinion
The first impression you might have is this is another copy of the M26 Pershing, but don’t be fooled because it’s not. The T25 Pilot (for short of T25 Pilot Number 1) was a project to equip a T23 with a 90mm gun, and this is what you are going to get in the game.
It’s very similar to a T23E3 in everything, for the ones who are lucky enough to have it you are going to notice how close the T25 in terms of gameplay, but instead of playing with a Tier VII with special matchmaker, you are going to get a Tier VIII with normal matchmaker.
But fear not, the T25 is a Tier VIII but has Medium Tank matchmaker, in every 10 battles you are going to get (estimated values based on my experience) two Tier X matches, 4 Tier IX matches and another 4 Top Tier. In fact sometimes you might actually be Top Tier more times than you are mid or lower tier.
So, for the ones who don’t have a T23E3, what does it mean when I compare it to one? Well, the amazing gun handling, amazing terrain resistance, great reload time for a medium, very mobile and agile makes this medium tank a true medium. It’s faster than a M26 Pershing or a M46 KR, but its engine only has 530 hp, meaning the acceleration and power/weight ratio is only 14.20b hp/t, lower compared to these two tanks. Armour is weak for a medium tank, it can’t withstand a hit, meaning you will have to play second line or at the rear sniping your enemies. With -10º gun depression and a strong mantlet you can use this tank to hull down and engage your enemies, but don’t be over confident with it. While it can bounce some shells, you can be easily penetrated on the turret sides and commander copula.
It’ has the highest DPM compared to the M46 KR, Super Pershing and a M26 Pershing, with an impressive 2,237 with a fully trained crew and equipment. But not everything is good in this tank. Like I mentioned the armour is very weak for a Tier VIII, meaning you can get penetrated even by lower Tier tanks. If you are Top Tier in a match it doesn’t mean the tank will be strong enough to lead the team to a victory. The normal round is AP and it’s quite slow (853m/s), just like the Hellcat, this means you have to carefully aim before you take a shot on a moving target. But could I say better about the Premium round? Well, it’s APRC and that means it’s faster (1021m/s) but it’s penetration power is quite low with only 243mm. This means you won’t be able to penetrate those well armoured heavy tanks frontally and some times even on their sides. This is when it’s mobility comes as a positive, using it you can flank an enemy or just change position in order to engage an easier target.
Overall the tank performs well if it’s Top Tier and you won’t have much problems playing against Tier IX, but as usual the tank can’t do much in a Tier X match, so don’t expect great results if you are facing them.
So, is it worth the time of doing 13 daily missions? Well, you can get a decent Premium Tank for free, so in my opinion that is always worth the time. But if you don’t have time to complete all 13 missions and you already have other American Premium Medium Tanks, then you won’t be missing out much.
The Good & Bad
- Amazing mobility;
- Excellent gun depression;
- Good accuracy, aim time and gun dispersion while moving and turning turret
- Decent damage per minute;
- Very good rate of fire
- Amazing aim time;
- Good terrain resistances;
- 530 hp engine, resulting in low Power/weight;
- Slow acceleration;
- Very poor armour for a tier VIII medium;
- Low penetration values compared to other Premium Tanks
- Slow shell velocity even for Premium Ammo.
Should you buy it?
Reasons to Buy
- You can get it for free
- You’re a Tank Collector
- You like American Medium Tanks
- Good alternative to Patton KR
Reasons to NOT Buy
- You’re a scrub lord and don’t want to support WG in anyway
- You already have several good Premium money makers
- You’re not comfortable playing American Medium Tanks
- Weak armor and not a game changer
- There are better alternatives, like the Pz 58 Mutz
- You don’t have time for the daily missions and you don’t want’t to spend any money.