Matchmaker received major changes when Update 9.18 was released back in 2017, but the new changes brought new challenges to overcome. Wargaming always aimed to have a matchmaker who would get players int battles as fast as possible, but the introduction of templates some unexpected problems arise:
- Players rarely get matched with vehicles of their tier and 1 or 2 tiers lower, and mostly they play with higher tier tanks. In other words, you often get to the bottom of the list. This is especially true for Tier VI and VIII vehicles.
- Players with preferential Premium vehicles play most of their battles in the 5-10 template with higher tier tanks, and rarely get matched with vehicles of lower Tiers. As a result, this greatly smooths out the benefits of preferential matchmaking.
Current templates, 3-5-7 and 5-10 are very restrictive on what they can do so the solution can be to add more templates and make the matchmaker less restrictive.
What comes next?
Wargaming is currently in what we could call an evolution of the matchmaker that is more flexible and will bring a better game experience, at least in theory. The planned changes are:
- Templates will become more flexible, depending on the current situation in the queue
- In addition to the classic 3-5-7 and 5-10, new templates may appear in order to help sort the queue
- For a two-tier battle, there may be 6-9 and 7-8
- For a three-tier battle, there may be 4-5-6 and even 5-5-5.
- Templates may also appear with a larger number of tanks in the top than in the bottom for two-tier battles. This mainly concerns the 8-7 template for two-tier battles.
Bringing in more templates to the overall formula might actually be a positive change, but will it be a final solution? With these changes, Wargaming is hoping to get players to be top of the lit more often but not always.
These changes are already being tweaked and tested, if Wargaming is satisfied with the outcome, an updated matchmaker should be launched on the main servers in all regions. Like other changes, feedback is the main key for it to be implemented so it’s important that you share your thoughts and concerns.