I’ve been given a test account to try out the upcoming Swedish Premium Tank Destroyer: Strv S1. Players will be able to get it very soon on the Premium Shop, for approximately 40€. The Strv S1 will be first Tier VIII Premium Tank available for the Swedish Nation and also the first Premium with Siege Mode.
The development of an advanced tank for Swedish army was performed by Sven Berge. First drafts of the unique vehicle were developed in 1956. By 1961, the design of the new vehicle was finalized, and a wooden prototype was built. Later, the first Strv S1 prototype was build and used for testing of the new type of suspension, which allowed for vertical aiming of the rigidly mounted gun. The Strv S2 was developed by the end of 1962. Both prototypes became the basis for the mass production of the Strv 103 tank.
- Tier VIII Tank Destroyer
- Cost: 10,900 Gold
- Hit Points: 1,000
- Gun 10,5 cm kan strv 103 L/51 – Tier X
- Shell Type: APCR / APCR / HE
- Shell Avg. Penetration: 288 / 330 / 53 mm
- Shell Avg. Damage: 390 / 390 / 480
- Shell Speed: 1,450 / 1,400 / 650 m/s
- Reload Time: 8.34s
- Rate of Fire: 7.20 rounds/min
- Aiming Time: 1.28s
- Average Damage per Minute: 2,806.50 HP/min
- Accuracy: 0.28
- Gun Depression/Elevation Angles: -11 / +11 deg
- Traverse Speed: 38.15 deg/s
- Terrain Resistance
- Hard: 0.73
- Medium: 0.83
- Soft: 1.47
- Hull Armour: 30 / 30 / 30 mm
- Weigh/Load Limit: 33,40 / 35t
- Engine Power: 540 hp
- Specific Power: 16.17 hp/t
- Top Speed / Reverse Speed: 50 / 45 km/h
- Concealment of Stationary Vehicle: 49.35
- Concealment of Moving Vehicle: 31.19
- View Range: 470 m
- Signal Range: 886 m
- Crew: 3 (Commander, Driver, Gunner)
Note: Values for 100% Crew with Brothers in Arms, Recon, Situational Awareness and Concealment and equipped with Binocular Telescope, Improved Ventilation, while the tanks is in Siege Mode.
- Improved Ventilation
- Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer
- Binocular Telescope
Analysis and Opinion
Overall stats are very decent for a Tier VIII Premium Tank Destroyer, gun handling is amazing and the gun is pretty accurate. Getting into Siege Mode or “unsiege” it’s quicker than other Swedish tanks, with only 2s to siege and 1.5s to unsiege. Speed while on siege mode is 8 km/h, 3 km/h more than the UDES, which makes it easier to maneuver when trying to poke over a rig line.
DPM can be just a bit short of 3,000 and that’s amazing, as long as you get a good position and are able to connect your shots, you won’t have much problems making a profit. Shell velocity of 1,450 m/s for standard ammo with 288 average penetration means it’s not difficult to hit a moving target and you won’t need Premium Ammo to penetrate, only if you are facing Tier IX and X heavily armoured tanks.
But when it comes to mobility, this is not the best of tanks. With a 540 hp engine, you are able to reach 50 km/h as top speed and 45 km/h reverse speed, but the tank weights 33.4t, resulting in a low specific power of 16.17 compared to the 26.37 you get on UDES. It’s armour is very weak, but with a great angle, so if you are facing enemies with guns up to 90mm, you actually stand a change on using the armour. But if you are matched against Tier IX and X, like you will constantly get, their guns are over 120mm they can penetrate your armour anywhere they want and with just 1,000 hit points, you won’t be able to take much punishment.
The tank doesn’t have much problems fighting against Tier IX and X, so if you are matched against them, just remember to stay back, use your stealth and DPM, this tanks is a stealth demon just like the E-25. If you are Top Tier, don’t try to push your team into victory, because this tank will fail if you try to use it as an assault tank.
So, what’s my general opinion of the tank? I’m more of an aggressive player and I just can’t play with the Siege Mode at the moment. The tank is good if you are able to play from a defensive mode, if you are unlucky to get a team that gets overrun quickly, you won’t be able to do much.. It’s a good tank but just for a few people. Siege mode is hard to get used to it and if you haven’t experienced the Swedish high tier tank destroyers, I wouldn’t recommend jumping into this tank straight away. It’s a decent credit maker, but just like the Swedish top tier tank destroyers, it’s hard to play and master.
The Good & Bad
- Amazing standard ammo penetration;
- Amazing shell velocity for standard ammo;
- Excellent gun depression;
- Good damage per minute;
- Amazing aim time in siege mode;
- Good terrain resistances in siege mode;
- 390 Alpha Damage on it’s gun.
- 540 Engine Power, gives it a sluggish feeling.
- Only 1,000 Hit Points, means it can’t take a hit;
- Armour is OK versus guns up to 90mm, but anything above will overpen.
- Siege mode makes it impossible to use it as an assault tank;
- Only performs if used in a defensive mode;
- 350m view range means you will have to equip binoculars.
Should you buy it?
Reasons to Buy
- You are looking for a Swedish Premium to train your crew;
- You’re a Tank Collector;
- You like Swedish Tanks;
- You fell confortable with Siege Mode;
Reasons to NOT Buy
- You’re a scrub lord and don’t want to support WG in anyway;
- You already have several good Premium money makers;
- You’re not comfortable playing Swedish tanks with siege mode;
- Hard to master because of Siege Mode.