World of Tanks Update 1.4 will bring one of the most anticipated modes for the game: Frontline. While the mode will stay practically the same, it doesn’t mean it won’t bring anything new, on the contrary, players will have the opportunity to win loads of new prizes, including tanks.
A little different from last year, Frontline in 2019 will not be a short-term event. Instead, it will consist of a whole series of events throughout the year. So, every calendar month, Frontline will kick off and be available for one week. Your 2019 Frontline journey will last 10 weeks in total. The weeks where Frontline will be available will be known as “Episodes” and between Episodes, Frontline will be unavailable.
Updating Prestige Mechanics
The core gameplay of Frontline will remain unchanged. However, with the hectic festive winter period in between, let’s kick off with a quick refresher. In Frontline, you can:
- Climb the Ranks from Private to General based on your performance in battle.
- Earn special “Frontline Experience” for reaching new Ranks.
- Use Frontline Experience to boost your Frontline Tier.
- Get rewards for reaching certain Frontline Tiers—there are 30 in total!
- Activate the special Prestige mechanic once you’ve reached Frontline Tier 30 to begin the process again and earn even more rewards.
There are some adjustments to make it even more enjoyable. Here’s what’s different:
- You can activate the Prestige mechanic up to ten times (instead of the previous three)—once for every new Episode of Frontline!
- Achievement of Prestige Levels is limited by +2 Prestige Levels from the current Frontline Episode.
For example, in the second game week you can reach Prestige Level IV, and in the third one you can reach Level V. Thus, starting to play at any time, you can make up for missed Levels.
On the contrary, there is no strict time frame regarding missed Prestige Levels. For example, if you start playing for the first time in Episode 5, you can catch up with the Prestige progression and reach all of the missed Prestige Levels (from I to V) any time you want, starting with the first Prestige Level.
Once you’ve reached any Frontline Tier out of 30, you earn a fixed reward: Credits, Regular and Premium Consumables, Directives, Personal Reserves.
Achieving each Prestige Level rewards you with additional prizes like Bonds, Gold, badges and medals.
In addition to the standard rewards for reaching a certain Prestige Level, you can earn special Prestige Points. These Points can be used to exchange for reward vehicles.
The higher the Prestige Level, the more Prestige Points you earn for achieving it. And the more Points you have, the more valuable and attractive tank you can choose to exchange.
- The first vehicle available for exchange is the STA-2, the Tier VIII Premium Japanese medium tank, which you can also purchase for gold in the in-game shop.
- The second tank is the WZ-111, the Tier VIII Premium Chinese heavy. You can also meet it often in Random Battles.
- The third tank is the rare Tier VIII Swedish heavy, the Emil 1951. This is a Frontline-exclusive vehicle and has yet to see combat, other than for testing. The Emil 1951 has already passed through limited tests, the results of which will change its characteristics during one of Frontline Episodes.
- The fourth vehicle is a secret Tier IX tank. Its name, class, nation, characteristics are top secret and will be published later during the season.
Previously, the defending team had some advantages over the attacking one. To make things right and even the battle odds, we made the following balance adjustments:
- Reduced the durability of main objectives
- Removed a number of defensive positions giving an excessive advantage
- Blocked several tracks, providing safe access behind enemy lines
- In some zones, the terrain around bases is changed in favor of the attacking team
- Removed a number of attacking positions, provoking a passive game
Based on the statistics obtained, we made some other slight changes:
- Changed locations of some Resupply Points
- Blocked a number of imbalanced firing positions previously used as vantage points for attacking Respawns
- Significantly increased damage inflicting on vehicles that haven’t left the inactive zone
- Enhanced combat abilities “Smoke Screen” and “Inspire”
- Slightly reduced damage inflicting by Airstrike and Artillery Strike
Also, in the new season the map will be optimized to ensure stable performance. You will see a noticeable increase of FPS on a PC of almost any configuration. However, Frontline will still require more system resources than regular Random Battles. This is due to several key factors that are specifically related to Frontline, including the large map size, a large number of objects and vehicles on it and activation of Combat Reserves.
This season you have the opportunity to rent tanks specifically for playing in Frontline. All rental vehicles will be replicas of existing tanks and are available only for the Frontline mode.
- The base vehicle will be available for rent for Credits throughout the Season 2019.
- Two Premium vehicles will be available for rent for gold in each Episode. All in all, there will be ten Premium vehicles provided. Each Episode the pair of vehicles available for rent will vary.
All the gold spent on rent will be accumulated in a special fund that can be used to get a discount on the purchase of the original version of any of the leased Premium tanks.