Today, World of Tanks developers meet up with Russian Community Contributors and streamed a Q&A where they talked about Update 1.0, Matchmaking, Game Balance, etc. I’ve decided to split this information into several articles, each dedicated to a topic because the amount of information I’ve currently have, would make a huge article and more difficult to read.
But before I start, I would like to say thank you to Bolnoj for translating and transcribing the whole Q&A for me. Without his dedication and time, we wouldn’t have as much information available in English.
Source: World of Tanks Q&A Stream
Preferential Matchmaking Premium Vehicles
- There are two solutions for preferential matchmaking Premium vehicles. They can be changing their MM or changing their characteristics. Wargaming already tested the MM changes (on internal testing servers) but didn’t like it the changes. Currently, they are testing changing the characteristics and see how it works. The first vehicle will be the KV-5, but there are a lot of problems with how to do it, compensation and things like that.
- Changes will be tested on Sandbox and Supertest by owners of KV-5. After the results, Wargaming will be decided what to do and if there will be compensations or offer a choice, etc.
- The reason why KV-5 was selected as the first test it’s because it was the most notorious case. After will probably be the IS-6.
- The easiest way to balance it is to buff the small turret (Radio Operator won’t die anymore lol) and/or buff the penetration, or even removing the weaker side armour.
- Changes to preferential matchmaking Premium vehicles won’t be postponed anymore.
- M6A2E1 used to feel amazing in the old MM, now players think it feels horrible, but giving it better MM will make it “OP” again.
- There are two sides of the pref. MM: Players who play MM vehicles and players who get matched against it. In short, that’s why the MM changes for pref. MM vehicles don’t work that well.
- Wargaming doesn’t plan to buff a lot of Premium vehicles in one go.
- Wargaming will keep these vehicles in the game, no matter what the compensation, “don’t just sell your vehicles just yet”.
- There will be fair compensations for owners of the pref. MM vehicles that won’t like the changes.
- If the KV-5 rebalance goes well, Wargaming will be able to rebalance other vehicles faster.
- IS-6 is special because of its penetration, FCM 50t its interesting because of mobility and gun.
- Each vehicle will be looked at specifically.
- The worse way to balance them is to make them one by one, the best way would be to find a good solution for all and speed up the process.
- One way of compensation could be to offer players to choose a new Premium vehicle of the same tier and trade it, like for like.
- Wargaming wants to completely remove preferential matchmaking.
- Lower Tier tanks with pref. MM will be done entirely differently.