Here’s my next review on a tank that is coming soon, the Swedish Tier VI Premium Medium Tank Strv M/42-57 Alt A.2. I watched Quickbaby Gamescom 2016 Stream where he played it and here’s what I think of it. As usual, let me know your thoughts in the comments so I can improve. Enjoy.
This project featuring the AMX-13 oscillating turret with the 7,5cm kan strv 74 gun was proposed as a part of the Strv 74 development. It was never built.
- Shell Avg. Damage: 150 / 150 / 185
- Shell Avg. Penetration: 148 / 207 / 38 mm
- Rate of Fire: 13.5 rounds/min
- Reload Time: 4.5s (with Rammer + BiA + Vents)
- Turret Traverse Speed: 36.4 deg/s
- Gun Depression/Elevation Angles: -6/12 deg
- Aiming Time: 1.58s
- Dispersion at 100 m: 0.31 m
- Average Damage per Minute: 2,021 HP/min
- Hit Points: 700
- Hull Armour: 55 / 30 / 20
- Turret Armour: 40 / 20 / 20
- Weigh/Load Limit: 25.9/29 t
- Engine Power: 340 hp
- Specific Power: 13.1 hp/t
- Top Speed / Reverse Speed: 45 / 20 km/h
- Traverse Speed: 46.68 deg/s
- Concealment of Stationary Vehicle: 31.1 / 7.28 (%)
- Concealment of Moving Vehicle: 24.1 / 5.36 (%)
- View Range: 360 m
- Signal Range: 400 m
- Crew: 3 (Commander, Gunner, Driver)
The Strv M/42-57 Alt A.2 is counter-punch medium tank. It doesn’t have the DPM as for example the Cromwell B, so its not advised to play it as a brawler. Keep your distance but not to far away. Penetration is not good to be a decent sniper, this means you have to play as a second line sniper medium. Aim time is amazing, use this to surprise your enemies and get a quick shot in them. Wait for them to fire and then peak out and get some damage done. With Gun Rammer, Brothers in Arms and Vents the reload speed and DPM gets better, so get this as soon as you can.
Speed is decent but again, not great, plan carefully your moves and where you are going at the start of the map. Use it’s decent camouflage to spot for your team, your speed will allow you to get to good positions and then reposition yourself once you get spotted, but again, it’s not a Cromwell B so it won’t climb that hill as fast as you think.
Gun depression is only 6 degrees, again worse than a Cromwell B, this means you have to be careful with the terrain and if your enemies are above you, again, not a lot of elevation to look at them with the 12 degrees.
So in resume, it’s a decent medium, with average penetration and average DPM. It performs good against tanks of the same Tier and decently against one tier above, but you will struggle against Tier VIII tanks. The upcoming Swedish Tech Tree is going to introduce a Tank Destroyer line and a Medium that finishes with Heavy Tanks, meaning this tank won’t be great to train your crew for the higher tiers.
The Good & Bad
- Excellent Aiming Time
- Good Terrain Resistance
- Good Camouflage Values for a Medium
- Good Dispersion allows you go fire on the move
- Good Money Maker for Tier VI
- Not great to train new crews for upcoming Swedish Tanks
- Weak Armour
- No special Match-Making
- Low DPM
- Average Penetration
- Average Gun Depression
- Average Gun Elevation
Tank Comparison & Credit Maker Ability
I don’t have any replays at the moment for this tank, so I can’t give you had numbers. Decent battles played by Quickybaby, seemed to get decent credits for its tier. Compared against a Cromwell B, I can say that the Cromwell B it’s still better. So if you are looking for low tier Premium Tank that is fun to play and makes decent credits, get the Cromwell B.
Should you buy it?
Reasons to Buy
- You’re a Tank Collector
- You need it to train Swedish Crew
- It’s fun to play at its Tier
- You like a Medium/Light playstyle
Reasons to NOT Buy
- You’re a scrub lord and don’t want to support WG in anyway
- You already have several Premium tanks that are good money makers
- You’re not comfortable playing Medium Tanks
- There are better alternatives
- You got no moneyz!